PALUBA
March 28, 2024, 05:08:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Važno - Na forumu PalubaInfo novoregistrovane članove odobravamo ručno, to može potrajati 24 h, ali je neophodno da novoregistrovani korisnik aktivira svoj nalog koji će dobiti putem e-pošte u navedenom vremenu

Home   Help Login Register  

Prijatelji

▼▼▼▼

Mesto za Vaš baner

kontakt: brok@paluba.info

Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages:  1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maunsell protiv-avionske tvrđave  (Read 21291 times)

Dreadnought
Počasni global moderator
kapetan bojnog broda

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2022, 04:56:10 pm »

These Bizarre Steel Structures Defended Britain During World War Two

During the Second World War, the City of London was a major target for both naval and aerial bombardment. In 1943, numerous towers were built in the Thames Estuary as anti-aircraft defences to protect the capital. Known as the Red Sands Forts, these Star Wars Walker-like constructions were initially built on land and floated out to sea in 1943.

These bizarre steel structures helped defend Britain during World War Two. The soldiers stationed there shot down a total of 22 attacking German aircraft and 30 doodlebugs, protecting densely populated London from even more devastation. Later in the war, the equipment was replaced, and removed soon after. The forts were eventually abandoned in 1958. It wasn't until 1964 that the Forts served a new purpose. Screaming Lord Sutch set up Radio Sutch (a pirate radio station) in one of the old towers. However, he soon became bored and handed the project to his friend and unpaid manager Reginald Calvert, who then expanded into all five towers that were still connected and called it Radio City.

After the station was shut down in 1967, the Red Sands Forts were yet again abandoned and remained offshore, slowly rusting away. Luckily, a planned restoration of the forts was scheduled in 2020, but was delayed by COVID 19 pandemic. It is planned for the forts to become a museum once restored.

Recently Dan Snow went to visit Red Sands Forts and was shown around by Dave Foulkes from Project Redsand.

lovac
Stručni saradnik za brodska oružja i sisteme
kapetan fregate

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2022, 08:19:08 pm »

I tako dođoše mladi novinari, koji misle da svu sve naučili i sve znaju ( sa interneta), i razglabaju o ''bizarnim strukturama'' koje su nekada branile London od nemačkih vazdušnih napada... Cool

Pitam se, šta ti mladi novinari znaju o tadašnjoj situaciji u GB, o mogućnostima tadašnje PVO i o masovnosti nemačkih napada. Verovatno znaju ono što su proćitali, ali na svojoj koži nisu osetili. Lako je tako kritikovati!
Pages:  1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Prijatelji

▼▼▼▼

Prostor za Vaš baner

kontakt: brok@paluba.info