PALUBA
April 19, 2024, 11:51:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Važno - Obavezno proverite i neželjenu (junk/spam) e-poštu da bi ste našli svoj aktivacioni link te aktivirali svoj nalog

Home   Help Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uvežbavanje minolovaca kod Gibraltara  (Read 1767 times)

Rade
Administrator
kapetan bojnog broda

« on: February 09, 2008, 09:49:03 pm »

08. februar 2008.

Dva minolovca klase Hunt britanske Kraljevske mornarice, HMS Atherstone i HMS Chiddingfold, koriste blagu zimu u rejonu Gibraltara kako bi isprobali novougradjenu opremu.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Oba minolovca su opremljena ronilicom Seafox, zamenom za RCMDS koji se nalazi u upotrebi zadnjih 25 godina.

Cela vest
Both Hunt Class vessels have been fitted with Seafox, a replacement for the current Remote Controlled Mine Disposal System (RCMDS) which has been in service with the Royal Navy for 25 years.

Seafox uses small, unmanned underwater drones for the effective direct disposal of both ground and floating mines. The system offers the Royal Navy an advanced mine hunting and disposal capability with an integral automatic tracking system that allows for both inspection and destruction of underwater ordnance.

Seafox has successfully completed live trials with the Royal Navy off Gibraltar this week and the results of the trial will undergo review and analysis prior to its introduction into service with the RN, currently planned to take place later this year. Lieutenant Commander David Morgan, the Commanding Officer of HMS Atherstone said:

"Gibraltar provides us with an ideal opportunity to conduct these trials under blue skies and with calm seas; my team has been working hard to make the most of the occasion."

HMS Atherstone's mine clearance diving team have also been taking advantage of the balmy conditions to hone their skills. Leading Diver Adrian Morris, HMS Atherstone's dive team leader, said: "My teams have been in the sea exercising every day... Out here, every day is a great diving day!"

The minehunter crews have been working alongside Gibraltar’s own resident Royal Navy squadron. Based in a purpose built headquarters, Gibraltar Squadron consists of two 16 metre Patrol launches and 3 Arctic 6.5 metre Rigid Inflatable Boats (RIBs), manned by a team of 19 personnel. Uniquely for the Royal Navy, the Squadron is permanently assigned to the Operational Command of Commander Joint Operations.

HMS Scimitar is one of Gibraltar Squadron's two Patrol launches. The boat's Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Greig Murray RN, said: "The squadron's role in Gibraltar is quite diverse: we've got two very manoeuvrable fast patrol boats with top speeds of 30 knots; we're armed and we're here to provide force protection for visiting warships and also to help with the security of the territorial waters in or around Gibraltar - whether that be for merchant vessels at anchor … for visiting warships or any other military exercises that are going on in or around the Rock.

"Since 9/11 the role of the Gibraltar Squadron has changed dramatically. We've become a more overt presence on the Rock, i.e. we're out on the water and making ourselves seen by the various people in and around Gibraltar as well as helping the Service police and the local police here to help with the security of the territorial waters."

The Hunt Class are the largest warships ever constructed out of Glass Reinforced Plastic, permanently fitted for the dual action functions of 'Sweeping' and 'Hunting' in one hull. They function as 'Minesweepers' in two ways; Destroying buoyant mines by sweeping, or cutting the mooring wires with a towed wire sweep and then blowing up the buoyant case on the surface; Dealing with ground mines (Bombs that sit on the sea bed listening for ship's noise and magnetic signatures) by using influence sweeps which simulate noise and magnetic signature.

As Minehunters they hunt for mines with a high definition sonar and then destroy them using explosives placed either by the Mine Clearance Divers or by the Remote Controlled Mine Disposal System Vehicles. In addition, the 1 x 30mm, 2 x 20mm guns and two General Purpose Machine Guns (GPMGs) enable them to function in a Secondary Role as very potent patrol Craft. The Hunt class are often found supporting the Fishery Protection Squadron around UK waters.

* hmsatherstonem38ae2.jpg (39.38 KB, 300x184 - viewed 43 times.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 09:08:33 am by Rade » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: