PALUBA
March 28, 2024, 02:57:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Za sve probleme prilikom registracije obratite se mailom na brok@paluba.info

Home   Help Login Register  

Prijatelji

▼▼▼▼

Mesto za Vaš baner

kontakt: brok@paluba.info

Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yugoslav Military Aid to, and Training of, Liberation Movements and Armies  (Read 31351 times)

Zenon
mornar

« on: November 23, 2022, 08:57:34 pm »

Hello everybody, greetings from Cyprus.

Unfortunately I don't know Serbian / Croatian / Slovenian etc. but hopefully you can help me.

I am writing a paper on Yugoslav, Cuban, and North Korean military aid to, and training of, liberation movements and armies during the Cold War, in the period from 1960 to 1989.

Google Translate says this is about "special units", so I think this is the closest to my topic. Can you please help me regarding Yugoslav military units that were involved, during this period, in :

* providing military aid and training to foreign liberation / insurgent movements? Asian, African and various Palestinian movements especially

* providing training to officers of foreign armies, especially Middle Eastern, Asian and African, either in Yugoslavia or as advisers abroad

Of course the best would be some information or links in English, but I am also interested in information or links in original Serbian / Croatian etc. with a little help from Google Translate.

Also, can you please clarify who exactly was the most important leader in Yugoslavia after Tito died and before the breaking-up (i.e. during the 1980s). Online information is very confusing, especially about the President of the Presidency of Yugoslavia and President of the Presidency of the League of Communists that changed every year. Was it a true collective leadership? Was it nobody? Was it the Prime Minister?
dark-bullet
zastavnik I klase

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 10:29:39 am »

Hello. There are many more qualified to answer you the first part (as they were active YPA officers. Regarding your last question, one has to understand that Broz was first and foremost a military leader who left civil authority to respective heads of the government ("predsjednik saveznog izvršnog vijeća", roughly the president of the federal executive council). If he personally directed the specific policies it was done inside party circles and/or closed quarters between him and respective civilian leaders.

Once Broz died not only country was left without it's president for life, but also military was left without it's supreme (but true) commander. So, while asking "who was the most important leader" may be an interesting question, the true question should be "who controlled the army after Broz died". And the answer that I would offer would that the "generalštab" (highest command) as a colective organ (with it's highest ranking officers) did not consider any of the remaining civilian leaders as a sole commander in chef, not even respective president of the federal presidency. And since presidency itself could rarely talk with the one voice, so "generalštab" and the army itself slowly became selfmanaged and selfsustained. I can only imagine that the financing of the YPA came never into question as the minister of defence was also a high (usually the highest) ranking officer, so a member of the government that approved each year's federal budget. In a sence, army had it's man in the govermnment that made sure army get's what it wants.

Few names could be named for top army echelon of the time, that served as ministers of defence: general Nikola Ljubičić (served from 1967 to 1982), admiral Branko Mamula (served from 1982 to 1988), and general Veljko Kadijević (served from 1988 to 1992).

Regarding civilian leadership, presidency was mostly sidelined for all practical purposes, so the respective president of the gederal executive council (SIV) could and probably should be regarded as more important then ever changing and rotating president of the federal presidency. They were: Veselin Đuranović (up until 1982), Milka Planinc (from 1982 to 1986), Branko Mikulić (1986 to 1988/march 1989), Ante Marković (1989 to 1991).

After all it was Ante Marković that was instrumental in sending army to Slovenija in 1991. Before that noone could persuade the army to intervene (and there were iniciatives to do so in rather turbulent late eighties).

Hope I gave you some hints for your further study.
JASON
Stručni saradnik - istorija
kapetan bojnog broda

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 12:26:50 pm »

sее: https://nardus.mpn.gov.rs/bitstream/id/67828/Disertacija.pdf
page 140.
JASON
kapetan bojnog broda

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 12:39:02 pm »

Also, can you please clarify who exactly was the most important leader in Yugoslavia after Tito died and before the breaking-up (i.e. during the 1980s).
Стане Доланц и Никола Љубичић.
Zenon
mornar

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 11:35:11 pm »

Thank you for the new information and analysis. A very complicated situation. Seems most probable that I will just use "the Yugoslav authorities" after 1980.
Zenon
mornar

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 11:37:17 pm »

Thank you so much! This is EXACTLY the kind of information I am looking for. I downloaded it. I'll need to be cautious with Google Translate but this is a very nice source. I f you have other links like this, please post them! Thanks again.
JASON
kapetan bojnog broda

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 11:06:34 am »

Ζήνων… ὁ Κιτιεύς ή ὁ Ἐλεάτης?
Είμαι υποστηρικτής της στωικής φιλοσοφίας (όπως ο αυτοκράτορας Αυρήλιος laugh) σύμφωνα με τον φιλοσοφικό μου προσανατολισμό.
''Πάντα θυμάται τι συμβαίνει σήμερα, τι συνέβη πριν και τι θα συμβαίνει πάντα. Θυμηθείτε, για παράδειγμα, ολόκληρη την αυλή του Αντωνιανού και ολόκληρη την αυλή του Φιλίππου και του Αλέξανδρου και του Κροίσου. Όλα ήταν ίδια παντού, μόνο τα πρόσωπα ήταν διαφορετικά.''

I f you have other links like this, please post them! Thanks again.
Η Γιουγκοσλαβία διαλύθηκε και σε κανέναν δεν αρέσει πλέον να ακούει, να διαβάζει ή να γράφει γι' αυτήν.
Zenon
mornar

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2022, 07:10:58 pm »

Ζήνων… ὁ Κιτιεύς ή ὁ Ἐλεάτης?
Η Γιουγκοσλαβία διαλύθηκε και σε κανέναν δεν αρέσει πλέον να ακούει, να διαβάζει ή να γράφει γι' αυτήν.
Χαχαχαχα!!! Ο Κιτιεύς, λόγω εντοπιότητας. Ελλαδίτης είσαι ή Κύπριος;
Ακριβώς επειδή είναι τόσο δύσκολο να βρω πηγές ήρθα εδώ. Γι' αυτό άμα βρεις κάτι post
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Prijatelji

▼▼▼▼

Prostor za Vaš baner

kontakt: brok@paluba.info